- This Global Show Must Go On (Tyler Cowen - NYT)
The last 20 years have brought the world more trade, more globalization and more economic growth than in any previous such period in history. Few commentators had believed that such a rise in trade and living standards was possible so quickly.
- How Do We Intelligently Discuss Politicized Geoengineering? (WorldChanging)
Ever since I wrote about my support for a ban on geoengineering research, I've found myself more involved in a debate about geoengineering, climate science and politics than I anticipated being.
- Paralympics 2.0 (Andy Miah)
Oscar Pistorius was right all along, at least for now. He was right to appeal the ruling from the International Association of Athletics Federations that forbade him from competing alongside Olympians in Beijing for one simple reason: he is an Olympian.
- The Top Ten Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems (Ronald Bailey)
The final dispatch from the 2008 Copenhagen Consensus Conference.
- Military Supercomputer Surpasses Petaflop Milestone (NYT)
An American military supercomputer, assembled from components originally designed for video game machines, has reached a long-sought-after computing milestone by processing more than 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second.
- Using Sci-Fi to Change the World (Analee Newitz)
Science fiction isn't escapist; it can help us envision how to make the world a better place.